Is "set and forget" a realistic possibility?

I have said elsewhere that my aim is to set up my inverter so that it does not require continuous tweaking. I know that this may be naive, but how does it look so far?

Well, I think that the Octopus Cosy tariff makes all the difference. Without the afternoon cheap rate period, I don't think that it would be possible to adjust the inverter in such a way that it would work well on sunny and overcast days alike. Reading the forums, it looks like some people have set up quite elaborate automation to take advantage of weather reports, published tariff changes, etc. This is not something that I particularly want to get into.

The Octopus Cosy tariff seems to work very well for me. On sunny days, despite setting "Priority Load", my batteries are reasonably full by the time 1pm rolls around. This means that the automatic charge from the grid is minimal. I am experimenting with splitting the 1pm-4pm cheap rate period into two (or even three) segments with different SoC targets. When I have refined my strategy a bit more I will post some representative graphs here.


UPDATE: Since I wrote this I have switched from Octopus Cosy to Octopus Agile. My strategy is basically the same as when I was on Cosy, but the prices are lower. I am trying to be aware of my relative cost on different tariffs. The Octopus Compare app makes that easy to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automation tasks underway

No, YAML ain't, but what is it?

A new strategy, a new approach to automation