The Global Solar Atlas Website

While I was researching SolarPV systems, I came across the Global Solar Atlas (GSA) Website which purported to tell me (in great detail) what kind of performance I could expect to get from the system that was being proposed. The more I look at this site, the more I am impressed. So far, my actual results have agreed to a high degree with its calculations of what I could expect to generate.

Another interesting detail relates to the optimum tilt angle for the panels. In most residential installations, the owner does not really have a choice of the angle at which the panels are mounted. If the panels were on a frame mounted on the ground or on a flat roof then there would be a choice. However, in most residential installations they are simply mounted on whichever roof points south-ish (north-ish in the southern hemisphere). The panels are tilted at whatever angle the roof happens to be.

That does not mean that optimum tilt is not interesting though.

Although you might not use data on GSA Website to go out and adjust the tilt angle of your panels - you CAN see at what time of the year they will be most effective. On lots of Websites you can put in your locations and find an optimum tilt angle to maximise the total solar generation for the entire year. But if you think about it, even if you WERE setting the tilt on a frame, you would not necessarilly want to maximise total generation. To my thinking, it would be better to maximise the output for the time of year that you are most likley to benefit from free power. That could be for winter heating or for summer air-conditioning.

It turns out that my 30 degree roof will give me my highest output in May, June, and July with only slightly less in the month either side of this. This is interesting because it would seem, from reading other Websites, that the "optimum" tilt would be about 62 degrees in winter and about 16 degrees in summer. If one WERE adjusting the tilt, it would be interesting to put different angles into the GSA Website and look at the seasonal graphs - rather than relying on some "optimum" figure.


Here are just a couple of the charts generated for my site on the GSA Website:


You may be interested in comparing the results from another, similar, Website: The Photovoltaic Geograhical Information System, from the European Commission. In my case, the results were very similar to the GSA figures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automation tasks underway

No, YAML ain't, but what is it?

A new strategy, a new approach to automation