Automation platform

Since I already have Solar Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi (Orange Pi, in fact) it is relatively easy to hook up a Home Assistant system using the MQTT broker built into the Solar Assistant platform. Solar Assistant does have some basic automation features now, but not nearly flexible enough to do what I want.

Home Assistant is clearly the go-to software for solar tinkerers. The only issue, then, is what to run it on? I decided that I was more interested in the automation than in messing about configuring a Raspberry Pi so I plumped for a Home Assistant Green - a pre-configured platform costing under £90.

This device hooks up to my network by Ethernet cable and connects to the Solar Assistant platform (and hence the inverter)over the network using the MQTT Broker built into SA.

It is fanless, but has a hefty heatsink on the bottom, which should keep it running along happily. It can be connected anywhere within my network since it does everything it needs to over the network.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why solar PV?

Automation tasks underway

Uninterruptable Power